Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Terrace Soccer and Chocolate

 
After last year's soccer games with Hyrum, I was pretty sure we weren't going to do this again.  He complained a LOT and while out on the field he kept acting like he was tripping.  But when soccer time came around this year, how could I say no when he REALLY wanted to play again?  I mean, this gets him off of electronics, right?  I'm so glad we let him because he is really trying hard this year.  He has a long ways to go because throughout the years of soccer, he hasn't really tried to learn how to play and wouldn't practice with Daddy but it is looking like things might change this year. 

Yesterday was his second game of the season and he wanted to go early so he could sell chocolates through a fundraiser at school.  It helps fund their field trips.  He was so cute walking up to people and asking if they wanted to "buy some chocolate."  He was super nervous at first.  In fact, Levi's friend Maddie found us at the game and offered to walk around with us to help Hyrum.  I kept telling Hyrum that I wasn't going to sell it for him and that he had to get out there and do it.  But like he usually is when he first does something in front of people, he was timid.  He kept telling Maddie, "I will hold the chocolate and you talk."  He is so stinkin' cute!  But she was strong, even through his cuteness, and told him that it would be much more effective if it came from a cute little boy with a dimple.  Smart girl!  He eventually got brave and ended up selling 5 before and after the game.  I had him run behind this couple that I saw at one point.  When the man turned around, he teased Hyrum and said, "I thought you were trying to steal my wallet, running up behind me like that.  Looks like you really are trying to steal my wallet!"  He bought something for him and his girlfriend and then tipped Hyrum $1.00.  One more dollar and he gets to buy his own!

Levi and Brigham has their own boxes and came a little later and started selling during Hyrum's game.  After we went home, we went around on our street.  I just love our little row of neighbors.  Some bought tons and others not at all but they were all so very polite about it.  The ones who didn't buy felt so bad (diabetic) but I insisted that it was good for the boys to experience rejection and to follow up with, "thank you anyway."

We were at one of my friend's house last night and Sabrina said to Hyrum, "How many should I buy?"  He said, "I don't know, maybe 2 or 3?"  I just giggled inside as I remembered Levi as a young child.  One night at the dinner table we were eating something that he didn't like.  David and I told him that he needed to eat 5 more bites and then he could be done.  Levi replied, "How bout 8?"  David and I jumped on that, of course, but whispered to each other that he shouldn't go into sales when he grows up.

No comments: