Friday, March 14, 2014

My Birthday

Yesterday morning Laurel and Olivia Brennan took me out for breakfast to celebrate my birthday.  It was super yummy and it made me feel special.

Then for lunch, Christine West took me out for lunch.  We had a hilarious waiter and as usual we just talked and talked until it was time to get my kiddos.

I was so grateful for wonderful friends who took the time to make this day special for me.  And if I couldn't spend my birthday with this guy...

...then I was glad it was with them!

As I was saying goodbye to Christine at the Olive Garden, she said how she hoped David was able to spend some time with me on my birthday (she knew he was working up in Logan).  I told her how he had called me twice that day and didn't say "happy birthday."  I could tell that she felt bad for me, so I quickly explained something.

David is horrible about my birthday and even Mother's Day.  It used to hurt my feelings.  But I have come to understand some things.  First, he grew up in a home where birthdays weren't celebrated the way mine were.  Second, he has a horrible memory.  And even though, earlier in our marriage I let my emotions take over on those days that were special to me, I just don't like I used to any more.  I can honestly say that almost everyday of our lives together it is like my birthday.

That may sound exaggerated but I do feel that way to an extent.  The reason being, I know many marriages where the husband does not treat his wife even close to the way David treats me.  There isn't a day that goes by that he serves me in some way.  It maybe cleaning up after the dinner I cooked or putting lotion on my feet.  It may be taking over with the kids so I can go back in our room and read a book or sweeping the kitchen floor.


I still catch this man staring at me with a smile on his face.  He still, at random times, brings me home flowers.  He can't stand for me to be back in our bedroom for too long...and before I know it, he is bugging me.  I often tease him that he is worse than the boys about never letting me have "alone time!"  He just always wants to be near me.

Yesterday wasn't any different.  He forgot once again.  It wasn't until about 7:30 at night that I got irritated.   Wasn't even hurt.  Just irritated.  He finally figured it out and of course felt bad.   Before I knew it, he and the boys brought me this:
The cake is a few pieces of break covered in peanut butter with strawberry syprup and chocolate chips on top.  How can you stay mad after getting something as cute as this?!  It seriously melted my heart to see this.  

It meant so much to me to hear Brigham say, "Dad said he really messed this up."  I love that instead of getting mad and taking it out on the kids and sending them off to bed, he taught them that even adults mess up.  And it is important that you try to make your "mess ups" right.  Even if it is with peanut butter covered bread!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Alisa (a day late) but just want to say, what a sweet, honest post. He does love you ") I love the part where you catch him smiling at you, Bob does that to me too, Makes me feel in love all over again. Love you ")