Friday, November 2, 2012

Random Happenings

Just some random happenings...don't leave drawers open.  Something just might make a bed out of it.
 I love that Hyrum is still in that stage where he loves to help clean.  Here he is helping Grandma clean our windows, while Neve is checking it out (speaking of, check out her broken tail).
 I LOVE THESE NEXT PICTURES!  
Levi and Brigham couldn't be any more different but I think that Hyrum is a good mixture of both.  One thing that probably makes me think this is because he loves doing what his brothers do.
 Levi had a book report due and was copying the cover of the book (below).  Hyrum just had to do the same.  Look at all those words that he copied (above)!  I was very impressed!
 So, of course, our Halloween candy is in abundance.  I usually make it last forever by only letting them have very little each day.  I pretty much don't care this time.  I took this picture because I wanted to remember Brigham's love of sour things.  It looks painful but he LOVES things sour.  Just like his momma, he even sucks on lemons :)
 I took this picture for 2 reasons.  I wanted to remember Levi's crazy hair style.  He honestly thinks it is cool.  Oh my.....that's all I have to say about that!
But I also wanted to get a picture of my Amalee before we move and I never see her again.  Levi LOVES babies and he is so cute with Amalee.  He can't stand her crying and will do anything to entertain her.  I can't wait to see him as a father. 
The kids didn't have school today so I wanted to take them to the park.  I thought that while I was there that I might as well get my walking in for the day.  So I asked Levi to watch over Hyrum while I walked around the park with Amalee.  I could see them the whole time but I also wanted to call my Grandma (Thatcher) while I was walking.  Sometimes cell phones are wonderful!  Anyone who knows me, knows that I am NOT a multitasker.  Trust me, pushing a stroller while talking on the phone is enough to distract me from full attention of my children who are playing right around me.  I know, its sad.  So, this was the first time I have put Levi in charge in this kind of way.  He always likes to entertain or be around Hyrum as it is, but he was so cute this morning as he knew he was in charge of him.  One time I looked over and Hyrum had fallen down in the grass.  Levi comes running over to him while yelling, "Are you ok??"  Of course he was fine; he was in the grass but Levi took his job seriously!
When I walk, I usually listen to music but lately I have been listening to books on tape.  I'm not a huge fan of Dr. Laura (I usually agree with her; I just don't agree with how she goes about telling people how she sees things.) but I saw this book titled In Praise Of Stay At Home Moms and knew I needed to listen.  So far, I have loved it as I am reminded of the decision David and I have made to have us raise our children and not day care workers.  When the kids were younger, mainly when I was pregnant, there were times that I didn't appreciate being home with them like I did when my hormones were in check.  But when they were in check, things were so good.  They still are as I get these little moments with my children that can't be replaced.  As hard as day care workers try, they can never replace Mommy and Daddy.  I love Amalee but I will never give her the type of full love and attention as Mommy and Daddy can.
Dr. Laura spoke of a mother who lost her middle child in his 20's.  She spoke of her heartache but also of her deep gratitude that she had stayed home with him while he was growing up.  Those many memories with him is what got her through those years after she lost him.  
Levi and Hyrum are very affectionate towards me, but Brigham isn't.  As I was listening to Dr. Laura, his smile came to mind.  Brigham will give me this certain smile every once in a while, as if to say, "I love you, Mom."  All those frustrating moments with him fade away when I see that smile directed toward me.  If I was working and trying to get everything else done in the time that I wasn't working, there is a good chance I would miss out on those smiles.  I would be too busy to notice, if they even happened at all. 
I want to be a perfect mother so badly sometimes but for the most part, I have accepted the kind of mother I am.  I am the type of mother who takes naps with her children instead of cleaning during that time.  I am the type of mother who makes home cooked meals but won't make them costumes.  I am the type of mother who stays home with them all summer long, without the break of school, but refuses to give up her alone nightly walks to a child asking her if they can tag along.  No, I am not that perfect mother but I do the best I can and I pray that they see that in me as they grow older and look for that special someone in their lives who will be the best mother that she knows how to be to their children.

4 comments:

Tricia said...

Thank you for this post. You are a great mother and your boys will be able to say "My mother taught me". It is a HARD job but we keep going and doing the best we can.

The Bass Family Pond said...

Alisa, There's no such thing as a Perfect Mother in everything ") we all do the best we can, and then we learn to do better. The mothers who do the things you don't, are the one's that may not do the things you do. We learn as we go. It's what we were sent here for. There's going to be trials, mistakes and heartaches, it's what brings us to our knees and when we include our Savior, then we learn and grow. It is a Hard job indeed (as Tricia said)it is also said, that He never said it would be easy, but it will be worth it,continue to teach them good things, keep your faith strong, keep the gospel and the Savior close to your Heart and you can't go on. You're the Perfect Mom for your boys, and don't you ever forget that. I enjoyed your post for it made me think of the Mother I am, everyone is the perfect mother in their own way with their own children. Hope this make sense ") Love you...Geeze sorry if I sounded preachy, what's up with Me ")It just really made me think I guess.

The Bass Family Pond said...

Messed up a little on the sentence that said "Keep the gospel and the Savior close to your Heart and you can't go on", (I meant you can't go wrong) ")

Us, the Gilson's said...

Hey Adams! I have some holiday cards and I want to give you one! Maybe we can meet up sometime? Will you send me your address? :) --- Jenn