Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Positively Elfish

There are some things this time of year that just naturally come to mind...like decorating with the family and thinking of past traditions you grew up with while adding your own.
But those past traditions make you think of home.  I soon was missing my Dad as I was thinking of his love for Christmas.  I get my love for "stupid" movies from my Dad, so naturally with the movie "ELF" being a Christmas movie while having that silly side to it, it is one of my Dad's all time favorites.  It is one of mine as well.  I wish Dad could have been with us tonight as I centered our FHE around this movie.
I'm not creative but I can copy really well.  So like I normally do, I get an idea and then go to the internet to actually put it all together.  I found this web sight that had 10 life lessons that Buddy the Elf teaches us throughout the movie.  Buddy is the most positive person and rarely lets things get him down so that is what I centered this FHE around.  Here are the 10 points:
1.  Take Risks
"Papa says my real father lives in a magical place far away...but the thing is, I've never left the North Pole."
2.  Show Affection
"Does somebody need a hug?"
3.  Make Smiling A Must
"I just like to smile!  Smiling's my favorite!"
4.  Spread Cheer
"The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear."
5.  Speak Your Mind
"If you can sing alone, you can sing in front of other people.  There's no difference."
6.   Be Yourself
"Actually, I'm human, but I was raised by elves."
7.  Don't Give Up
"I passed through the seven levels of the Candy Cane forest, through the sea of swirly twirly gum drops, and then I walked through the Lincoln Tunnel."
8.  Do What You Love
"First we'll make snow angels for two hours, then we'll go ice skating, then we'll eat a whole roll of Tollhouse cookie dough as fast as we can, and then we'll snuggle."
9.  Let Life Excite You
"Good News!  I saw a dog today!"
10.  Give Compliments
"Deb, you have such a pretty face.  You should be on a Christmas card!"

So each time we came to one of these lines, we paused the movie to talk about it and how it can make our life positive instead of all the negative that surrounds us.  FHE was such a blast tonight.  One of those ones that I'm pretty sure the boys will remember.

9 comments:

The Bass Family Pond said...

That was a great lesson, Love it! how fun ") I think I want to steal it, it's the first Christmas with all the grandkids and my kiddo's with the exception of Elder Bass :( AKA~ Max ")What a great fun lesson on "giving" all year round. It'll be a fun FHE from Nana Rose and Grandpa, and it's even on Christmas eve ") I'm really excited...

Tricia said...

What a great momma you are. I am so going to copy you with this one because that movie is one of our favorites!!! I will call for the details:) I love when the FHE goes well.

Adams said...

Rose and Tricia, I am so glad it will keep going. I wanted to put it on our journal blog so I wouldn't forget it later but I also wanted to share it because I appreciate all those blogs out there that give me all these ideas! The site was: http://www.positivelypresent.com/2010/12/10-life-lessons-from-the-movie-elf.html

Amanda said...

Yes! FHE for next week! What a great idea-thanks!!!!

Apeeee said...

"Hey...I like to whisper too"
"Ooooo, Francisco! That's fun to say!"
"I have a heartbeat in my finger"
"I'm in a store! And I'm singing!!!!!"
"SANTA!!!!!! I know him!!! I know him!!!!"
***BUUUUUUURPPPPPP**** "Did you hear that!?!!?"

Adams said...

hahahahahahahaha!!!!!! The burp one is said, ALL THE TIME in our house!

Adams said...

hahahahahahahaha!!!!!! The burp one is said, ALL THE TIME in our house!

Char said...

I love this idea. I think I will do this for movie night this weekend. We love this movie at our house too.

Christine said...

So cute! You turned my favorite Christmas movie into an awesome FHE! I am totally going to copy you.