Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A House Divided

 (Hyrum and Levi)
These last few days have had me thinking a lot of our country.  On Monday, Silvercrest Elementary had 40 flags out on its front lawn as it represented the 40 men from Utah who have lost their lives since the war on terror began after September 11, 2001.  In front of each flag was a picture of that man describing how he served and died. 
Yesterday was our turn to choose the next President of the United States of America.  The majority of the population choose to keep President Barack Obama in office. 
During these last few days I have been thinking of David and his desire to join military forces.  I knew this was a desire of his when we first married, yet I was terrified of losing him to war.  And even though I grew up with the most patriotic man as a father, 2 grandfathers who retired from the Navy, and a boyfriend in the National Guard, I didn't receive my burning love for our country until after my children were born and David and I were married for a few years.  I remember softly crying, without the ability to stop, while watching a parade in St. Anthony, Idaho one July morning as the Vetrans walked past me.  From then on I have had this undeniable love for not only this great nation but those who serve under it.
I have come to understand that it is easy to admire and love those serving our country in military ranks but hard to feel that type of respect for those serving us politically.  Politicians are often demonized and certainly not trusted.  And though some of them have given us due reason, I am coming to understand that it is more important for me to have faith in them.  
I was reminded of that last night as we learned that President Barack Obama would continue being our President instead of electing Mitt Romney.
I thought Mitt Romney was going to win.  I really did.  I had such hope for what I knew he could do for our country.  But my thoughts on this man did not reflect the majority of the United States of America.  And you know what?  That is ok.  
I may be the one who is always reminding David and the boys to pray at the table or before bed but he is always the one to remind me to do the same when it is needed the most; in times of distress, need, and thankfulness.  And while I was not thankful that President Barack Obama was re-elected, I knew that we needed to pray for this man.  So as David became more and more stressed as the night went on last night, for once it was me who guided us to our knees.  
So, our home prays for President Barack Obama.  We pray that he will listen to the Lord, whom I know is whispering to him through the Holy Ghost.  We pray that he will not only listen to that prompting but also guide this great nation to the will of the Lord and not of man.
I may not support a lot of President Obama's beliefs but I certainly support him as President of the United States of America.  I will continue to pray for him and have faith that our nation can return to the Father's will.

Oh, and Brigham has been the sole Barack Obama supporter in our house throughout this election.  He couldn't tell you why he wanted him to win rather than Mitt Romney but I refused to squash his right to vocalize who he wanted to win last night.  It was kinda cute watching him get excited as he saw President Obama's electoral votes go up as the night went on :)

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Couldn't of said it any better. AMEN!!!