Thursday, August 2, 2012

I support Chick-fil-A

After the backlash of Chick-fil-A's CEO Dan Cathy's comments on his support of traditional marriage, I am happy to report that our local Chick-fil-A had a huge turnout yesterday.  I drove by and people were lined up around the building to get in.  The cars were lined up almost back to the main road (passing several other businesses, mind you). Chills ran all over my arms as I realized how wonderful it is to live in a community that supports traditional marriage and free speech.


This morning, however, I got online to check out the outcome all around the United States and read that it wasn't just our community or the Bible Belt.  It was found everywhere!
"It's gone beyond anything I could have imagined," Mike Huckabee said.  "Every one of (the stores) that I know have reported record, historic sales yesterday. ... A lot of the stores ran out of chicken before the end of the day."  This is coming from the former presidental running mate for the Republican Party and Arkansas Governer.  He asked for the people who support Chick-fil-A to  come and buy their products on August 1st, dubbing it "Appreciation Day."  
I haven't felt this passionate about the public's response to something in a long time.  Yes, I would support this company just for the fact that they support traditional marriage but why I choose to go out of my way to eat there now is because of the ridiculous manner that certain organizations and people have attacked Chick-fil-A.  I thought it was wrong when certain people banned JC Penny, not to long ago, when they hired Ellen Degeneres (a very public lesbian).  In no way do I support banning of certain things just because they believe differently than I do.  And it is hypocritical that these same organizations that cried fowl (pun intended) of those who were against JC Penny are now (some of them) pitting against Chick-fil-A.  How is that any different?  It is not!  I believe with all my heart in free speech and no one should be persecuted because of it.
Now I will say that I wont support those that are unkind in there words.  I believe that people have every right to say what they want but that doesn't mean that I have to support the actual words that come out of their mouths.  
Example:
I love Ellen Degeneres.  I could care less that she is a lesbian and you know why?  Because she is kind about it.  I can't stand Rosie O'Donell.  You know why?  Because she is horribly rude about her beliefs.  That goes for all those supposed "Christians" that try to convince people that homosexuality is of the devil by telling those people that they are terrible human beings.  How do we expect to ever teach people what we believe to be true by not doing it with love?  And I think Dan Cathy did it perfectly by simply saying, "We are very much supportive of the family -- the biblical definition of the family unit.  We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."  There was nothing unkind about his words.  Lets remember how important it is to teach with love besides....
"Don't judge me because I sin differently than you do."

2 comments:

Tricia said...

AMEN SISTER!!!

Marlana said...

I strongly agree. You said it perfectly.