Saturday, August 4, 2012

Brigham's Baptism

Today Brigham was baptized.  When David gave Brigham the gift of the Holy Ghost, the Lord was pleased with his decision to be baptized.  His blessing also told him that he knew right from wrong and that the Holy Ghost would be able to help him with choosing what was right.  Most importantly, as he chose the right he would then start to become the man that our Father in Heaven wanted him to be.

....but I never heard those words from my ears.
Let me explain.

When David first gave Brigham the gift of the Holy Ghost I was there with the rest of the people attending the baptism.  There is a part in the blessing that confirms the person a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  But David only said "the Church of Jesus Christ."  From then on, the blessing was a little awkward as it came off as if the Lord was only warning Brigham.  As the blessing was going on, David struggled with words and I felt as if the Lord was telling me that this child of mine was going to be more of a handful than I ever expected.
You have to understand how odd this all was to me.  Yes, Brigham is by far my hardest trial when it comes to my kids but David has always reassured me that all would be ok.  That it is actually a blessing that Brigham is so stubborn in his ways.  If we rear him up in the right direction now, then as a teenager he will never stray from the gospel.  I have seen this happen in recent years.  We will be with other children when they will dare him to do something dangerous and he flat out just tells them no.  Even when they call him a chicken!  When Brigham makes up his mind, well, it is made up.  The other thing that was odd to me was how difficult the blessing was for David.   My husband honestly gives the best blessings.  It is not just me.  I have had several other people tell me how amazing the blessings were that he gave to them.  I compare him to Joseph of Egypt because he just sees things and senses things that others don't.  This blessing however was so.....well, forced.
You can't imagine how truly grateful I was when David later told me that a member of the Bishopric pulled him aside, after the baptism, to tell him that he didn't use the correct wording at the beginning of the blessing and that it needed to be done again.  David said that the words just flowed after that.  It just proves to me that there is a designated way to how the Priesthood works.  It comes from the Lord and only the Lord.  The differences in the two blessings is proof of that.
Another neat thing that happened today:
We got to the Stake Center a half hour early but I realized I had forgotten Brigham's scriptures.  When the boys are baptized we like to get them scriptures and then have those that are at the baptism (or his get together afterwards) sign his scriptures with words of encouragement.  So I quickly went home and was very stressed as I couldn't find them.  Just then, Helen walks through our front door.  David found the scriptures  when everyone came to our house after the baptism for a lunch-in type thing but I realized, once the baptism started, that the real reason I was suppose to go home was to find Helen.  If I wouldn't have been there, she would not have known where to go for the baptism and would have missed it.

I am so grateful that today happened, the way that it happened.  I love learning things from the spirit.  I love it when the Lord puts me in my place.....tells me to calm down when those things that I am worried about isn't important.  When He reminds me that He has all things in place right where they should be...if I would just listen.

4 comments:

Rebecca E. said...

Such a sweet post, thanks for sharing. I'm sure you'll look back on this later on and it will serve as a comfort (I have my own little Brigham too) Sure do love you. I need to email you but not sure what email you check the most often so I'll just send it to David's facebook, be on the lookout! :)

The Bass Family Pond said...

Congrats Brigham! ")You are truly blessed to have such a neat family, who teaches you all the gospel principles, and so neat that your Daddy has the priesthood authority to baptise you and give you the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Tricia said...

So sad we missed this special day for Brigham. Love how you always see the Lords hand in all things and you desire to listen and be teachable. Love ya!!!

Hill said...

What an experience!