Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Camp Bandage

I just started helping my friend at her flower shop every Wednesday but I only stayed for 3 hours today so I could watch what the boys get to do when camp bandage comes along. Every year our local EMT, Firefighters, and Police get together at the Civic Center and teach the children all about safety. If you were to ask most parents about it the first thing that would probably come to their head is how their children come home with broken body parts, stitches, and lots of blood....fake of course. Here is Levi getting his "gun shot" wound dressed from one of the volunteers at the VoTech that is training to be a nurse.
Levi, Austin, and their classmates working it for the camera!
I didn't get to be there for the whole thing but it last for about 4 hours as they go from station to station. They learn anything from boating safety to gun safety, to getting to watch one of their teachers getting "arrested" for a DUI while her passenger has to be rescued from their wrecked van and put into a rescue helicopter.
My favorite part was listening to these kids at the station where they got to pick what injuries they wanted. One kid talked about how he got his wound from falling off the Eiffel Tower. That was probably my favorite. Levi had a knife wound on his leg, 2 gun wounds, and some stitches. But my favorite part of today was seeing Levi with Austin. I worry about him not having friends at school and one of the first things Austin said to me when he found out who I was, was if Levi could spend the night. I never thought an invitation for a sleep over would be so comforting!

2 comments:

Nate, Marie & Lilly said...

Ah I remember going to camp bandage. Doesn't sound like its changed much since then. Always fond memories.

Char said...

That sounds like so much fun. My kids would love something like that!