Sunday, July 16, 2023

Introducing: Sushi, Chop Sticks, Tofu, Bamboo, and Wasabi

Okayu has loved having her belly rubbed for the past 2 weeks or so.  If I'm lying on the bed she just plops down on my chest and neck, assuming the position for me to scratch her belly.  
When a mother cat nurses her babies, endorphins rush in.  I'd say more like drugs because she looks high almost every time I rub her belly!
On Brigham's birthday, Okayu was showing signs of the 1st stage of labor.  She was really loud and vocal and very needy.  She also had some discharge coming out.  Hyrum was afraid he'd miss something so he slept in my bed (Daddy slept on the couch...good Daddy!) since the nesting box was in there.  Okayu was up most of the night, but I did catch this moment of her sleeping against Hryum before waking up again.  
Its a long story but she ended up giving birth in my dresser drawer.  That was not at all as we planned but she kept wanting to get in there when she was in stage 2 labor (mucus plug lost, panting, bearing down).  Hyrum and I kept directing her to the nesting box but no luck.  She even completely stopped panting and bearing down at one point.  I knew then that we had been stressing her out by not letting her go where she had planned on going all along.  So much time had passed, she was exhausted, and so were we so I took out all the clothes, put in old towels and doggie pee pads, and let her do her things.  Within 10 minutes, she had had her first baby!
Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
These were taken on day 3 of one of the kittens that we sometimes lovingly call "fatty" because it was the chunckiest baby out of all of them.


Since Hyrum loves all things Japanese, we decided to call them:  Sushi, Chop Sticks, Tofu, Bamboo, and Wasabi.

 

No comments: