Sunday, October 22, 2017

Bricktown

We had only been in our new house for a night when Mom and Dad offered to pick up Ruger and take him back to Jay, keeping him for a week and a half.  There would have been a time when that offer would have never been accepted.  There would have been too much guilt with accepting that; telling myself that I could do this.  But I was so exhausted.  Mentally and physically.  When they offered it, it was more than a blessing.  I don't really know how to put it into words.  I feel as if this may seem exaggerated trying to express how poorly I was doing and had been for a while.  But I promise it is not.  Sometimes when someone goes through these periods, its not apparent to the person going through it.  But it was for me this time. And I knew it had been building up for a while.

I noticed how easy anger seemed to come.  I didn't want to call my Grandma because she can always tell when I'm not ok and I didn't want to worry her.  And there were other things. One of these days I will get on here and journal all that I realized.  I actually realized it while talking to Tricia on our girls night out just before we moved.  I found myself pouring out to her what I had been dealing with.  It felt good.  Real good.  The last time I got together with her, Rose was there, and they both wanted to know how I was (it was after Levi getting so sick) and I just remember tearing up and telling them I didn't want to talk about it because I knew I'd cry.  I should have opened up.  But that is the way it is.  When its happening, I don't want to talk about it.  And I really don't like that about myself.  I wish I could fix that.  I wish I could just tell myself that I need to talk about things.

But that is the nasty thing about depression.  It changes reality.  You don't think straight.  Anyways, I'm realizing that I'm not journaling about the whole reason I got on here.  Bricktown.

The weekend after Ruger left and after I had mentally and physically (by the time that Dad came and got Ruger, I was physically really sick. It's hard to describe how sick your body can get if your mind isn't healthy) gotten better, David and I took the 3 older boys to Bricktown.

 Mine and David's favorite part was the water taxi.  It was relaxing, informative, and entertaining!  
 I loved relearning all about the Sooners and Boomers.  
 It brought back memories of grade school in Jay and how we would reenact, every April, the Oklahoma land run.  We rode the river taxi twice and on the second one there was this OU fan on the boat.  Almost every time we passed a group of people on  the walkway next to the water, she would yell out, "Boomer!"  And almost instinctively they would yell back, "Sooner!"  Made me laugh every time!  David and I have lived near a lot of cities and every city has their own college or NFL team that it's residents seem to heavily follow.  All of them.  But I'm telling you that Oklahoma beats them all!  At least compared to all the ones we have lived by.  So. Many. OU. Fans! 

 One of the buildings that we passed was actually older than the state of Oklahoma itself.  That was kinda cool.  Bricktown is fairly new but the buildings were very old.  So a lot of money and time was put into restoring the area and putting in "new" businesses in these old buildings.  The water was not naturally there.  They dug down and a lot of what was showing on these brick buildings actually used to be underground.  Anyways, I could go on and on about all that the river guide taught us but I'll stop.

 The boy's favorite spot was Brickopolis (game area) and miniature golfing.

We spent a lot of time here.  It was really enjoyable and I was so glad that we got to do it.

No comments: