Wednesday, June 22, 2016

"I just really want to help people"

Levi and Brigham are at Boy Scout camp in Idaho right now and so it leaves lots of time with Ruger and Hyrum.  But I'm used to all this time with Ruger.  So it's been fun to just get to talk randomly with Hyrum.  To be daily reminded just how tender this boy is.

I was going through some pictures and found this one.  It fits perfectly for this journal entry.  I found this in our hotel room when we weren't living at home because of the mold problem.  This kid loves the Lord and His Son.  On his own time.  Not just at church.  He turns 9 next month and yet he still is as tender as he was a few years ago.  Time hasn't changed him like it does so many of us.  

The other day I was working in our garden when one of our neighbors came out her back door.  We talked for a bit but before we went our separate ways she had to share with me something that Hyrum had said to her.  She is an elderly lady living by herself.  David and I lightly nudge them to do things like shovel her driveway when it snows and they always do it.  So this didn't surprise me to, to much but it still made me so very proud.  She said that she was taking her trash can to the curb when Hyrum came up to her and asked her if she would like him to do it for her.  She was worried that it was a little too heavy for him so she said that she would do it.  She said that what he said next brought tears to her eyes because she knew he meant it.  He said, "I just really want to help people."  

And nothing could be more true about this child of mine.  He really does want to help people.  He randomly asks me almost every day if he can help me.

I am so grateful that Heavenly Father sent him to me.  I'm so grateful that he is in my life to remind me daily to think of others more than I do myself.  I struggle with this.  But Hyrum helps me to remember that this life is not all about me.

No comments: