Thursday, April 21, 2016

Colorado and Rob, Day 3 & 4


On Saturday, we decided to spend the day in Durango.  Our cabin was about 30 minutes outside of Durango so we hadn't spent a whole lot of time there.  We started off at the local fish hatchery.
 The kids were, of course, excited to feed the fish.
 From there we walked on a little paved trail that lead to a children's science museum.  A memorable experience happened while on the way there.

We were all walking on this trail when we came up on a gazebo.  We saw a group of people there spray painting large pieces of fabric and cardboard to protest the police.  We were not impressed and quickly moved on.  While we were on our walk it started to rain so once the women and children got to the museum, the men walked back on that trail to pick up our vehicles.   David later told me that when he, Stephen, and Rob walked up on that gazebo Stephen said that they should yell, "Go home you crack smoking hippies!" and then run off.

Ok, that is hilarious for 2 reasons.  One, you just have to know Stephen.  He is a rock in the Adams' family and when he speaks it usually is something wise and memorable...not usually humorous.  So even though I wasn't there, I will remember that for a while.  The second reason that is funny to me is because that was when I realized that it wasn't just David and I that were noticing the very different people of Durango.  From the first night that we got there and ate at the pizza place, David and I noticed the students who were clearly high.  They pretty much all looked the same too.  They looked like they could use a shower, the men had long hair and scraggly facial hair, lots of people wearing sandles and bicycle riders.  And lots of smiles!  We came across more than a few glazed over eyes with smiles!  But David and I kept it to ourselves.  One, because I didn't want to point it out to the kids.  Two, I have to admit that I didn't want to make fun because even though I think it is a waste of money, time, and brain cells to be using on marijuana; I admire there ability to just not care about certain things.  They clearly didn't care about appearances.  They didn't have to have the nice cars or clothes.  In fact, I'm sure they were more aware of taking care of our planet.  All things I should be better at.

But still, it was humorous as we were very well aware that we were in a college town in a state that had legalized marijuana use.
On Sunday it was time to start heading home.
While the adults were cleaning up and packing up vehicles, the kids played in the snow.
I'm not sure when we will all be able to do this again, but I sure do appreciate Erin putting this all together so that the cousins could all play, Helen could be with all of her boys at once, and so that my little family could get away from all that was happening at home.
As we were leaving the cabin we stopped at Pinkerton Hot Springs.
It was just a quick stop but it was fun to learn a few facts.  My favorite being that in the 1800's the people believed that the water cured diseases so they bottled it up and brought it into Durango.
 Once we got outside of Moab, we stopped at Wilson Arch.  It was a nice but scary little hike up to the arch.
Not so much because it was a dangerous hike, it really wasn't...its just that the boys always make me nervous when they climb.
 Plus, it doesn't help that I am very much afraid of heights.
But believe it or not, I actually went up there with them!

No comments: