Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Family Cycle

(David and Steve)
On Sunday, most of David's immediate family was able to go to church with us and then have dinner at our home afterwards.  The reason being that David was made a High Priest on Sunday.  I don't publically talk about our callings a lot, because I never want to come off as bragging, but I felt it important this time.
 
On Tuesday, David and I were called into the Stake's office to have an interview.  This wasn't unusual because David has had many callings in the Elder's Quorum.  I just assumed it would be that calling again.  But when the member of the Stake Presidency asked David how old he was before issuing the call, I have to admit that my heart raced a little.  Why would he ask such a question unless it was unusual to get a certain calling that is seems to only have older men in?  The Bishopric came into mind and let me tell you, that is a calling I would never wish on someone!  I know that sounds terrible.  I imagine the blessings that come from that type of service is great but I also know that it takes a lot of time away from families.  It's just a calling I have never wanted my husband to have.  So when he said that he was being called as an assistant to the High Priest leader, I have to admit that I was relieved.
 
Yes, it is unusual to have someone as young as David called as a High Priest and I know it will be time consuming but hey, he's not in the Bishopric, right?!  Ok, again, I know that is terrible to say but I just don't know how Mommies do it.  We have a very young Bishop in our ward and they just had their 3rd baby.  I just can't even imagine.  Anyways, this occasion brought David's family to us as Steve was able to confer the office of High Priest to his son. 
 
Which brings me to the reason I wanted to write about this.  That morning, I had a training at the church.  The First Presidency of the Church feel that the members need to focus more on keeping the Sabbath Day Holy.  This was our 2nd training for the Presidencies of the organizations of our ward.  One of the main points being taught was this:
Multigenerational families are very important.  They hold to traditions their fathers and mothers before them held dear.  We learned that often the cycle is broken in between  point A and B.  This is usually because of a lack of important principles taught in the home.
 
Just a few short hours later, my husband was receiving the office of High Priest through his own father.  Amazing.  I truly felt blessed to have married into this family on Sunday.  I pray that our family can tap into that strength that David's brothers and parents have displayed.
 

(top: Steve, Barbara, Brigham, Rachel, Chloe, David, Kieran, Aaron, and Helen.  Bottom:  Levi, Hyrum, Abbey, Holly, Stephen, and Stephen J.R. holding Baby Boy)
And since everyone was here, Holly baked Brigham an early birthday cake.  Yeah, that would be the birthday boy, in the picture, hiding behind that deliciousness!  It may not look like much but trust me, it was soooo good.  She made it all from scratch and it tasted like it!

1 comment:

The Bass Family Pond said...

Very Nice, Sweet post! High Priest! That's quiet a calling, he's a good man Alisa ")