Monday, January 30, 2012

Happiness

I have felt so blessed lately. I don't think I could fully express how happy I have been lately. I love living in Utah. I love the apartment we live in. I love our cute older neighbors. I love being home with Hyrum again. I love living close to family and old friends. I have come to realize that when you are happy, it makes it easier to do certain things. It makes it easier to love yourself and so now I find myself exercising and not eating as much. I find joy in cleaning our apartment (as long as I have music :). I really do! I love having a clean apartment. I long for the temple now instead of going there just because I know I should. So many things can change in the way you look at things when happiness is a factor.
This reminds me of something a roommate taught me years ago. She had made a lot of poor moral choices in her teenage years. Her parents had sent her to a church college in hopes of getting her away from other influences. While at Ricks College she learned of repentance and the joy it can bring. Don't get me wrong, I witnessed many tears from this beautiful roommate of mine. It was not an easy task for her but I will never forget one of the many discussions of what she had learned. One day I walked in on her crying. She began to tell me that she remembers her Young Women leaders telling her that doing drugs, having premarital sex.....you know, all the things you shouldn't be doing.....was not fun. This roommate then told me that they were wrong and right. They were wrong because it actually was fun....really fun. But they were right in the fact that there is a difference between fun and joy. Fun is a fleeting thing. Joy can be lasting and there is no guilt in joy. I love her for teaching me that. I love the Lord for letting me know this to be true.

3 comments:

Tricia said...

Love this post. It is so TRUE! Happiness can be hard to find at certain times in our lives. It is so good to know that this move has brought you JOY that you were truly longing to feel again. I Love you my friend!!!

The Bass Family Pond said...

IN THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS...GLAD TO HEAR AND SEE YOU HAPPY.
LOVE YOU!

Shan Reid said...

We both learned a lot from that beautiful girl... miss you both!