Friday, October 14, 2016

Francis Peak

Last Saturday David drove us up to Francis Peak.  The very winding, and at times steep, road up there was a little uncomfortable for Levi and I in the front seat of the truck but it was worth it.  Well, maybe not for Levi but it was for the rest of us.  I just had to make myself look the other way when we were driving on certain parts of the road....you know....the parts where if you look you can see straight down the mountain!  
 But look at this.  So beautiful.  And it was fun to get high enough to play in the snow a bit.
 The domes behind Brigham look like little specks down here in civilization.   So it was fun to come up here and learn that they were ran and operated by the Federation Aviation Administration and The Air National Guard.  It's good to feel protected :)
 Not everything was covered in snow, though so of course there was some climbing.
 The boys immediately started to throw snowballs and rocks down the mountain and so Ruger had to join in.
So, cute Hyrum was not happy when he first learned we were going up to Francis Peak.  We had this hornet nest and its occupants, right outside the front of our house that no matter how many times David sprayed it down they just kept coming back.  None of us ever got stung but by the end of the summer Hyrum was pretty freaked out by them...as well as bees.  

So when we told him we were going up a mountain he started to freak out a bit because he didn't want to run into bees.  So I told him that I had just read that for the first time some bees were now on the endangered list.  I reminded him about how very important bees are for our survival.  He then wanted to know all about why they were endangered and was happy to know that I never use chemicals in our garden for that exact reason (plus, I don't want us eating that poison.  But I did tell him that there were some places in the world where insects were so bad that it was really hard for people not to use pesticides).   

And guess what?  Before we left, he was telling me about how he really wishes that the bees would be safe now.  I sure do love this sensitive boy of mine.

No comments: