Monday, October 31, 2016

Refugees and Temple Square

With the Church encouraging its members to help the Refugees, well, it has been on my mind the last 6 or so months.  A lot.  Should we foster another child?  Do we physically go down to Salt Lake and help with some of the organizations there?  Do we just give money?  

Like many things in life, it wasn't an easy answer for me.  But then I got our Cub Scout budget.  Well, what was left over for the year.  We had quite a bit left over, with only a few months left to go.  I made sure that the leaders wouldn't need the money for something else first and then went and got lots of hygiene items for the boys to make kits that they could give to the refugees in Salt Lake. 
All the the Cub Scouts helped with this but I forgot to take pictures the night we put them together.  But since Hyrum and Urban went with us to deliver the hygiene kits later, they got to be in the picture.  

They were able to tour the building and see the classrooms where these refugees were learning the English language.  They got to hear of the many ways that this organization (Refugee and Immigrant Center, Asian Association of Utah) is helping the refugees.  I had already done my research before choosing this organization but coming here and talking to the staff (and actually seeing some of the refugees) really opened my eyes to the MANY ways they help.  It's not just about sheltering them or helping them to stay clean.  They also offer training in so many areas.  And think about all that they have seen.  Mental health needs to be addressed.  There are just so many aspects to the lives of refugees.  I am so grateful that this organization is doing what it is. 

As you can see from this picture, the refugees are coming from many places.  They said that right now, they have most coming from Somalia.  Both Levi and Hyrum were actively asking questions.  Such a simple thing, yet it made me proud.
Afterwards, I though I would take them to Temple Square.
The temperature was mild and was not crowded so I enjoyed it very much.
There were times that Levi wanted to go home, Ruger wanted out of that stroller, Brigham was teasing a brother, and Hyrum was zoning out but all in all, it was good.  It was a real good day.

No comments: